Are you passionate about educational equity? Do you love adventure and want to challenge yourself both mentally and physically? Are you hoping to do something interesting during your summer vacation so you can tell your coworkers about it when you go back to work?
This July, climb the highest peak in the Caribbean with Yspaniola! Pico Duarte is located in the Cordillera Central range and is the highest mountain in both the Dominican Republic and all of the Caribbean Islands. Pico Duarte was first summited in 1851, and today, approximately 1,000 hikers come each month during peak season.
Participants will be led by an experienced guide, and all meals, pack mules to carry supplies, tents and sleeping bags, and medical professionals on staff will be included. The hike will last three days and three nights. After climbing Pico Duarte, participants will have the opportunity to meet Yspaniola’s staff and community members in Batey Libertad. We will also take a day trip to a beautiful Dominican beach so you can relax after your physically strenuous adventure. Participants will arrive in the Dominican Republic on July 27 and leave on August 2.
Registration is due by May 31, 2019 at 5PM EST. Each participant will be asked to pay a deposit of $200 and fundraise a minimum of $1,000, but we encourage you to raise even more to support the educational futures of the children of Batey Libertad!
Read more below to see the itinerary, or Register Now!
Day 1: Saturday, July 27
- Arrive to Santiago
- Spend the afternoon in Santiago sightseeing
- 6:30 PM Dinner at El Tablón
- Spend the night in a hotel and get a good night’s rest. We will head out to Pico Duarte Base Camp tomorrow!
Day 2: Sunday, July 28
- 10:00 AM Breakfast and Yspaniola trip briefing at hotel
- 2:00 PM Depart Santiago
- 4:30 PM Arrival Jarabacoa
- 5:00 PM Transportation from Jarabacoa to Base Camp
- 6:00 PM Pico Duarte Base Camp (1,100 meters above sea level)
- 7:00 PM Dinner and short briefing about the next-day-hike
Day 3: Monday, July 29
- 5:30 AM Wake up, light breakfast
- 6:45 AM Hike from Base Camp to La Compartición Camp
- Pico Duarte Base Camp–La Compartición Camp: 18 Kilometers/8–10 Hours
- 3:00 PM Arrival La Compartición Camp (2,450 meters above sea level)
- Time to take a cold but rewarding shower in the water spring
- 6:00 PM Dinner
Day 4: Tuesday, July 30
- 7:00 AM Wake up
- 8:00 AM Breakfast
- 9:00 AM Hike from High Camp to Pico Duarte Summit (3,087 meters above sea level)
- La Compartición–Pico Duarte: 5 Kilometers/2 Hours
- 11:30 AM PICO DUARTE SUMMIT
- 12:30 PM Hike from Summit to High Camp
- Pico Duarte–La Compartición: 5 Kilometers/1 ½ hours
- 2:30 PM High Camp
- 3:00 PM Lunch
- 7:00 PM Dinner
Day 5: Wednesday, July 31
- 6:00 AM Wake up
- 6:30 AM Breakfast
- 7:00 AM Hike from High Camp to Base Camp
- La Compartición Camp–Pico Duarte Base Camp: 18 Kilometers/6 Hours
- 1:00 PM Arrival Base Camp and lunch
- 2:00 PM Transportation from Base Camp to Jarabacoa
- 4:30 PM Bus from Jarabacoa to Santiago
- 6:30 PM Arrival Santiago
- 7:20 PM Arrival to hotel
- 7:30 PM Dinner at Fresh Burger
- Spend the night at hotel
Day 6: Thursday, August 1
- 8:00 AM Breakfast at hotel
- 9:00 AM Drive to Batey Libertad
- 10:00 AM Meet the teachers and staff of Yspaniola, and see our facilities (office, Learning Center, Preschool)
- 12:00 PM Lunch with host families
- 1:30 PM Go to Playa Ensenada for the afternoon
- 6:30 PM Eat dinner on the beach
- 8:30 PM Drive back to Santiago
- Spend the night at hotel in Santiago
Day 7: Friday, August 2
To sign up, fill out this google form. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.